Industrial Archeology

If we consider the italian industrialization history, we can affirm that Schio was one of the first areas that specialized in wool industry. The wool activity had already been present in Schio's economy for a lon period.

Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Monumento al Tessitore

Piazza Rossi, Schio

The monument, was commissioned by Alessandro Rossi, a textile industrialist from Vicenza who wanted to dedicate the monument to our good will and to our workers after 40 years together. The statue was originally located at the crossroads between Viale Pietro Maraschin and Viale Alessandro Rossi, currently it is situated in Piazza A. Rossi in the heart of the current historic centre


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Lanificio Conte

Largo Fusinelle - Galleria conte, Schio

The Conte Wool Mill is one of the city’s oldest factories, In the piazza in front of the mill we find the bust of Alvise Conte, who died in 1950 and who was considered a leading figure in both the industrial world and in the civil and social life of the city. He had, in fact, been able to keep the mill going even in the difficult period in the 1930’s and during WW 2.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Spazio SHED

Via Pasubio n. 99, Schio

Designed in 1906 by engineer Carlo Letter and built in a reinforced concrete patented by Hennebique, with a Shed roofing, a very modern concept and material for those days.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

La Roggia Maestra

Largo Fusinelle, Schio

Roggia Maestra is an artificial canal which originates from Torrebelvicino, it crosses the urban centre and it end up in Marano.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Asilo Infanzia Alessandro Rossi

Via Pasubio, Schio

Currently it is not accessible due to a fire which damaged the building. It was founded by Alessandro Rossi near the factory for his workers' children.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Fabbrica Alta e Lanificio Francesco Rossi

Via Pasubio 149, Schio

Fabbrica Alta is the emblem of the Veneto’s industrial heritage.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Giardino e Teatro Jacquard

Via Pasubio, Schio

The Jacquard Garden was established in 1859, in a period of great renovation and growth for Alessandro Rossi’s enterprise, with the aim of offering citizens and workers a space dedicated to entertainment and culture. The Lombardesque façade of the building alternates red-frame windows, 12 terracotta medallions by the Milanese sculptor Giovan Battista Boni who represented important figures in the history of Schio.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Monumento Alessandro Rossi

Crocevia via P. Maraschin, viale Trento e Trieste, via A. Baccarini, via F.lli Pasini, , Schio

The monument Alessandro Rossi is placed in front of St. Antonio Church. It was founded by a citizen's committee to celebrate a man who started the territory's industrialization and who brought Lanificio Rossi to become one of the main industries in Italy in the second half of '800.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Quartiere Operaio La Nuova Schio

via Fusinieri, schio

The worker’s quarter in "La Nuova Schio", built between 1872 and 1890. Alessandro Rossi, who commissioned the development, intended to create a new urban and social texture which could meet the housing needs of most of the workers who had moved to the city.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Scuola Convitto di Pomologia e Orticoltura

via A. Rossi 8, Schio

The school of Pomology is placed in the workers quarter.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Villino Giovanni Rossi

Via Pietro Maraschin, Schio

Giovanni Rossi, son of entrepreneur Alessandro, built his villa in the current Via Pietro Maraschin, the main street of the workers’ quarter.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Teatro Civico

Via Pietro Maraschin 19, Schio

The theatre is a sign of the vitality, not only industrial but also cultural, that the City of Schio had shown since the beginning of the 20th century and was built at the centre of the New Workers Quarter.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Fabbrica Saccardo

Contrà Progresso n.1, Schio

The company’s first headquarters was in the centre of Schio, along the Roggia Maestra in Via Nova (current Via Btg Val Leogra) and a few years later moved to a building nearby.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Ambulatorio medico-Chirurgico - now headquarter of Associazione Alpini

via Baratto, Schio

This medical clinic was established in 1898 and was dedicated to Alessandro Rossi in memory of his fiftieth wedding anniversary.


Industrial Archeology and Alessandro Rossi

Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Abate

Via P. Maraschin 1, Schio

The Church of Sant’Antonio Abate was built in 1879 by architect Antonio Caregaro Negrin. It was meant to physically provide a connection between the New Workers Borough and the City’s historic centre.